Mold Breaker ignores the effects of Abilities that could potentially affect the damage or effects of a move that its user executes. For example, a Pokemon with Mold Breaker can hit opponents that possess Levitate by using Earthquake. Mold Breaker applies regardless of target Pokemon, but only to moves executed by its user (so if two Pokemon in a Double Battle both know Earthquake, only the Pokemon with Mold Breaker can hit a Pokemon with Levitate).
Unlike Gastro Acid, which completely negates a target’s Ability, the opponents’ Abilities otherwise remain in effect:
- Abilities that prevent status conditions (such as Immunity andOblivious) will not protect the Pokemon from receiving the status condition; however, many of these Abilities also have effects to cure the Pokemon of the status condition if afflicted, which are not negated by Mold Breaker.
- Abilities that draw attacks to the user, such as Lightning Rod andStorm Drain, will still divert attacks regardless of Mold Breaker, but will not nullify the damage or boost the Pokemon’s stats.
Mold Breaker can ignore the Abilities of Pokemon other than the target; for example, if a Pokemon with Mold Breaker uses Thunder Wave on a Grass Pokemon whose ally has Flower Veil, the target will still be paralyzed.
In Generation IV, when a Pokemon with Mold Breaker is brought out, the message "<name> has Mold Breaker!" is displayed. In Generation V onward, when a Pokemon with Mold Breaker is brought out, the message "<name> breaks the mold!" is displayed.
Generation V onward
If a Pokemon with Mold Breaker forces a Pokemon to switch in with a move like Roar or Dragon Tail, immunities to entry hazards due to Abilities will be negated (except Magic Guard). If forced to switch in this way:
- Pokemon with Levitate will be affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes, unless they are type or holding an Air Balloon.
- Poison Pokemon with Levitate can remove Toxic Spikes, if they are not Flying and not holding an Air Balloon.
- Pokemon with Immunity will be poisoned by Toxic Spikes (although Immunity will then activate and cure them of poison).
- Pokemon with Leaf Guard will be poisoned by Toxic Spikes even during intense sunlight.
- Pokemon with Clear Body or White Smoke will have their Speedlowered by Sticky Web.
In Generation VI, a Pokemon with Overcoat will be affected by powder and spore moves as well.
Mold Breaker ignores the following Abilities, even in situations where the Ability could increase the power of a move (such as using Low Kick on a Pokemon with Heavy Metal or using a type move on a Pokemon with Dry Skin):
|Generation IV onwards
||Battle Armor, Clear Body, Damp, Dry Skin, Filter, Flash Fire, Flower Gift, Heatproof, Hyper Cutter, Immunity, Inner Focus, Insomnia, Keen Eye, Leaf Guard, Levitate,Lightning Rod, Limber, Magma Armor, Marvel Scale, Motor Drive, Oblivious, Own Tempo, Sand Veil, Shell Armor,Shield Dust, Simple, Snow Cloak, Solid Rock, Soundproof,Sticky Hold, Storm Drain, Sturdy, Suction Cups, Tangled Feet, Thick Fat, Unaware, Vital Spirit, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Water Veil, White Smoke, Wonder Guard
|Generation V onwards
||Big Pecks, Contrary, Friend Guard, Heavy Metal, Light Metal, Magic Bounce, Multiscale, Sap Sipper, Telepathy,Wonder Skin
||Aroma Veil, Bulletproof, Flower Veil, Fur Coat, Overcoat,Sweet Veil
Outside of battle
Mold Breaker has no effect outside of battle.
Pokemon with Mold Breaker